As a mediator I am privileged to have helped resolve a wide range of difficult expensive problems.
How Mediation Works
I have mediated personal injury claims, professional negligence cases, matters between landlord and tenant, contested wills and intestacies, partnerships, commercial business sales, even intellectual property disputes.
Sometimes with solicitors and QC’s; other times just 2 individuals with no representation apart from friends or spouses. Every time is different, BUT every time the same very simple process -
- Confidential mediation agreement
- Send a position statement and supporting papers to the mediator
- Come along to the mediation meeting, and explain your point of view
- The mediator has a series of private, confidential meetings, separately with each side
- Negotiations start to develop, achieve momentum, and a deal is outlined
- Draw up and sign a binding, final, enforceable settlement contract
- Seek to understand every point of view in the room
- Get to know all the facts; as far as possible.
- Ensure everyone gets heard
- Ensure each party understands its own needs and interests
- Move the argument from positions to interests
- Explore the best and worst alternatives to settling
- Be creative, think laterally.